LOOKEE- LOOKEE! FAMILYOLOGY has an ACTUAL FAMILY TREE that ANYONE can view for FREE on Tribalpages.com! Come take a look and see how everything you read about here fits in chronological context... It's also a work in progress...
(Sorry, for privacy and safety no living people are viewable without permission and password from the administrator)

The views described in this blog are as multidimensional as the sources... Facts are cited wherever possible... and attempts are made to draw an interesting narrative out of our family orchard. If you find something to be incomplete, inaccurate or offensive, please leave a comment or contact the blog team. Thank you!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Scrubbin'

Well I don't know about y'all, but my chief excuse this last year for not moving forward much with genealogy was "too much information loitering my basement and computer". I needed to get a handle on what was in my Legacy program file (dumped out of Ancestry) and compare it to all that I have. I need to scrub all my files, as it were... and finally this week, I have begun to do just that.

It has Begun.

It's going to be like comedy, I'm sure. I do know, from professional experience, that I just have to take it on one task at a time and try to be smart about it. I know there are things I have that I have not input yet, or have not cited my sources. I need to meticulously log my sources, my family group sheets, and my pedigrees.

The system I started before sucks and I have decided to make a log in Excel based on all the individuals' names and info (dumped from Legacy in a csv file), then track parents and spouses and charts on the same line. I file them in a 4" rough-and-tough binder with alphabetical tabs now. Anyone with the last name beginning with "A", regardless of how far removed from my direct ancestors, will be found in the "A" tab. The numbers run consecutively, but heedless of traditional alphabetical order beyond the "A". Numbers are assigned as the charts are made. No bias, no fuss... If I make a bunch of new charts, I will number the stack, then put them in the log, then file in the binder. Letter "W" may have charts 1, 2, 3, 4, 17, 28, 29, 30, 52 etc.

anyway... it's fun.

And I still need to finish my photo and document log, too. They will be closely guarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what have YOU found???

General Announcements

...the best way to find updates is to use the search features (labels or the search bar above) because we don't put things in chronological order all the time!